Sofia Reyes (born 2000, Panama) is a Toronto-based artist known for her contributions to the realms of comic art, illustration, and design. Hailing from the tropics, Sofia identifies as a queer BIPOC woman whose work is deeply rooted in the exploration of identity.
Her work has been featured in exhibitions, zines, newsletters, and animation-based documentaries.
Sofia Reyes's creative journey spans across various mediums, from linocut to digital art, zines, color pencils, gouache, and risograph. She gravitates towards themes such as fantasy storytelling, BIPOC womanhood, identity politics, and biology, drawing inspiration from her heritage and the realm of Latin American magical realism.
Through her work, Sofia aims to explore, challenge, and express the intricate layers of her identity while addressing societal issues and contributing to positive change. Her primary goal is to create a lasting impact, whether through graphic novels, illustrations, or prints, as her work remains a continuous journey of growth, storytelling, and a personal connection to her roots.
- GHOST GIRL Zine, "DREAMS",VOLUME 2, 2021.
- HUNGRY Zine, ISSUE 2: "IT'S COMPLICATED", 2021.
- PILE PRESS, FALL READING ISSUE 2, 2021.
- MIXED RICE Zine, QUEERING FRIENDSHIPS ISSUE, 2021.
- RBC Centre for Emerging Artists & Designers (CEAD), 2022 Career Launcher Fund - Recipient.
- OCAD University Illustration Program, 2022 ILLU PROGRAM MEDAL - Honourable Mention.
- Nike Inc.
- DNA DPX
- HUNGRY Zine